January 27, 2017

The Gunslinger

The Gunslinger
 
Stephen King
 
Image result for the gunslinger book cover
 

more like 3.5
 
I've always avoided reading Stephen King. Since I was little, all I could think about when I heard his name was 'It' or 'Carrie' or anything horrific that would have given me nightmares. You see, I like dark books, but I do not enjoy horror. I don't like being scared, at all and nightmares come easily to me. However, my sister is a big fan and lent this to me so I could experience the most non-horror King I could get.
 

 
I only rated this as three stars because I felt like it was very short. Now, I realize that King originally meant for the Dark Tower series to be one large book, but that clearly didn't happen. I do, however, have high hopes for the remainder of the series. I also read that they were being made into a movie coming out this year, so curiosity got the best of me.
 
This book is a western mixed with fantasy, what's not to love? It's definitely quirky but not in a bad way. The gunslinger, the last of his kind, is trailing 'the man in black' (a sorcerer) across a desert in hopes that he will tell the gunslinger where the Dark Tower is (we don't know much, other than that he needs to go to the tower).
 
That's basically the entire book, his journey to catch up with the man in black. So, it was a bit uneventful. I do have to say that I like King's way with words and the book went fast for me.
 
Image result for gunslinger gif


No comments:

Post a Comment