January 31, 2017

Soft on the Devil

Soft on the Devil
 
Robert Lampros
 
 
 
*This book was gifted to me by the author. The below review is my honest opinion*
 
This is a 'mystery novella' and was quite a short, easy read. Our main character, Ian, is a religious young man whose neighbor went missing. God has given him visions of Cindy (missing neighbor) and he takes it upon himself to solve the mystery of her murder after her body is found.
 

 
I'm sorry, I just did not like any aspect of this. I'm not religious, but I can still read about religion. This was just unbearable. It made no sense to have a very religious protagonist who drinks, has pre-marital sex, and beats a dog with a baseball bat. I also hated Ian; nothing about him made me care about his story. If anything, it made me hate every decision he made. Why did he need to find out who killed a girl that had nothing to do with him? Especially after the detective on the case told him to stay away from everything involving the murder. If he was so set on helping solve the murder, why would he lie to the cops in the first place? And how is all of this psycho babble related to what's actually happening with the super rich dude and Ian's high school and the dude's wife who sits in her car in the parking lot of Ian's work daily? It isn't!!! I just don't understand a whodunit that has no resolution at the end.
 
Nothing of this made sense to me. I hate ripping apart a book that an author gave to me in hopes that I would like it, but this just was not for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment