January 16, 2017

The Gift-Knight's Quest

The Gift-Knight's Quest
 
Dylan Madeley
 
See original image
 
 
*this book was given to me by the author in order to give an honest review for the sequel (coming up)*
 
 
I don't want the 3 star rating to make it seem like I didn't enjoy this, because I did.
 

 
Goodreads blurb (because it explains the plot much better than I'd be able to):
 
"Welcome to Kensrik, a world vividly imagined by Dylan Madeley, in which his debut fantasy novel The Gift-Knight’s Quest is set. His book follows the youngest descendants of two families that have traditionally been enemies: the Kenderleys, who now rule the world’s largest empire, and the Wancyeks, who have been reduced to common status.

“Chandra had yet to fathom why Jonnecht could not have lived and ruled for many long years, or why it was so urgent that she ascend immediately.”

Chandra never asked to rule Kensrik, but fate took a strange course. Known as a usurper and sorceress by most and traumatized by all that has transpired, she is forced to make use of the few loyal allies she has in order to hold together her restless empire. In an attempt to identify and defeat the conspirators who inadvertently landed her in power, Chandra risks putting the lives of many in mortal danger, as well as her own.

Derek is an aimless wanderer – the youngest in a lineage that has long fallen from nobility. He finds himself summoned by tradition to serve a family historically considered his bitter enemy. As he journeys down the same path a fateful ancestor once travelled, he struggles with personal demons and begins to reconsider his loyalty to the mission.

Duke Lenn found one true cause in love and it cost him everything. His legacy shaped the present in which Chandra and Derek find themselves. Now their choice will shape the future of Kensrik...

The Gift-Knight’s Quest is set in a new and vividly imagined world, written with delicate prose that will allow the reader to explore with their imagination. Inspired by authors such as Michael Moorcock, J. G. Ballard and Roger Zelazny, it will appeal to fans of fantasy and historical fiction."
 
So, I used the blurb because I wasn't exactly sure how to describe the characters & world because it definitely got a little confusing at times. It's one of those stories that you emerge into in the middle of the action, and you have to be quick to pick up the characters (which unfortunately I am horrible at), but if you can pay attention to those sort of details, you'll like this fine.
 
I did feel like some of the characters just fell flat, like I didn't care enough what was happening to them which made me distant from the plot as well. I'm not sure if there wasn't enough action for me or I was just separated from emotion and therefore didn't get involved with the story. Also, there were some segments from the past that are in between what's going on in the present, but they weren't distinguished as past stories so I didn't realize until the part was over that it already happened (and that most of the characters that were being discussed were dead).
 
I did feel like this kept me on my toes though, the setting is definitely interesting and sets us up for the sequel, which I will be reading and reviewing sometime soon!
Image result for galavant gif

No comments:

Post a Comment