April 25, 2018

Siege and Storm

Siege and Storm
 
Leigh Bardugo
 
Image result for siege and storm
 

Still entertaining, but not my favorite.

I'm not sure exactly what it is that feels boring about this one to me. It might be that I'm not a huge fan of Alina, or it might just be that there's too much left unanswered to be fully enveloped in the 'suspense', or just that the whole book was leading up to one part that was over in five seconds (I have had that problem often lately), but either way this just didn't hold me like I thought it would.
 
As I said, I'm not a huge fan of Alina, but I don't hate her either. I like that the author made her flawed and that she consistently looks for Mal even if it's horrible for the both of them. I like that she struggled with people thinking she was a Saint and with the other Grisha (and with the royalty). What I couldn't get over is the fact that she cares more about her relationships than she does with her current issues... you know like saving the world and rebuilding the country that she basically ruined and worrying about the Darkling or thinking about the Firebird. I mean, she works on that stuff too but the whole time she's either thinking about Mal or Nikolai and how she feels. She doesn't even have time to feel with the amount of work to be done.
 
Speaking of Nikolai, he's a gem. I really enjoyed his character and Alina's perception of him. You don't really know who Nikolai is or when he's being genuine, but he still makes you feel happy for some reason.
 
The main issue I had is the Darkling. We have no idea what he plans to do or why, and we don't know why Alina keeps seeing him. He was barely in this book, other than used as a threat and shown in the battles. They shouldn't just be worrying about how the Darkling will attack, but also WHY. It's like no one's even thought to question why he wants the throne or what he intends to do (and he clearly has plans).
 
I really hope that the third book wraps everything up nicely. If not, then I at least hope I enjoy Six of Crows because I'm starting to lose hope :(


No comments:

Post a Comment