November 21, 2016

The Lightning Thief

The Lightning Thief

Rick Riordan

Image result for the lightning thief book cover





Ahhhhh this makes me want to read every Rick Riordan book ever. So, I half-wish that I had read this series when I was younger, because it's clearly great but at least I'm starting now.



Ever since the fifth grade when our teacher forced us to read D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths, I've been fascinated with Greek Gods and myths. For these stories to come alive with demigods and a summer camp, it was just so exciting for me. Throw that on top of a very likable 12 year old boy as the main character, and I'm set.

The main premise of the book revolves around Percy, who finds out that he's Poseidon's son. Not only that, he discovers that he belongs with the other gods' children at Camp Half-blood and that he must go on a quest. So, Zeus and Poseidon are fighting because Poseidon wasn't supposed to have kids and Zeus accuses him of using Percy to steal Zeus' super weapon lighting bolt. Percy's quest (along with Athena's daughter Annabeth and his best friend/satyr Grover) is to find the bolt and bring it back to Zeus or there will be a war of the Gods.

I loved it! I thought the story was well told, the characters had depth, and you can tell that there's a lot of potential for the rest of the series. Now I need to go binge read the rest of the series and watch the movies, bye.
Related image


No comments:

Post a Comment