November 10, 2016

THE ENEMY WITHIN

THE ENEMY WITHIN

Scott Burn
Image result for the enemy within scott



The awesome author of this baby reached out to me and asked me to read, but the below review is my honest opinion.

I was so caught up in this, I probably read it in a good 3 hours (in between homework). What's better than a kid having visions of an apocalypse only to find out that they may be true? NOTHING!

I'm going to start by saying that this was new territory in a market of repetitive concepts. The main character, Max, is a 17 year old who's been in and out of foster homes his entire life. Once the visions of a burning world start to take over his mind, he will do anything to end it (including suicide). After an unsuccessful attempt, he is taken to an asylum where he eventually meets 3 other teens who understand him more than anyone in the world.




I liked the characters, I liked the setting, I liked the quick pace of the book. I could go on for a while about things that I liked. I really don't want to give away the plot of the book because there's so much more to it and I feel like if I mention the why of Max's visions that people may completely look past this book.

But really, I did have a few problems with it also. First, the reasoning & advancement of exactly what Max and the others can do was a little too advanced and/or confusing for me. I sometimes got lost in exactly what was going on (especially with Max and the red stuff and flowers). Also, there is a sort of 'mind reader' in the book, but for some reason she didn't read the (for lack of a better word) villain's mind to see through his plot. Also, I didn't feel that the little bit of romance in there was necessary or very deep as there wasn't much time within the book to explore a relationship.

I really enjoyed this. Thank you, Scott!

No comments:

Post a Comment