June 4, 2019

Rebel of the Sands

Rebel of the Sands

Alwyn Hamilton

Image result for rebel of the sands
(3.5)

I felt like just when I was really starting to feel this book, it took a nosedive.

Here we are in the middle of nowhere desert learning about this badass girl who's gotten nowhere because of her gender and the death of her mother. I think the characters were done wonderfully in this book. I really cared about Amani and everything going on around her. I liked that she was the outcast and wouldn't stand to stay and be another one of her Uncle's wives. I loved the competition and introduction to Jin and everything that happens to them from there.

(spoilers below)

So where did it all go wrong? Just as I'm really starting to love Amani and her role as being non-magical but still the best shot of everyone around (still very useful in my opinion), she has to go and find out she has secret powers. GAH. I was so disappointed. I loved that she had to struggle with not being like everyone else and not feeling entirely useful. I liked that finally, here was a YA with a good plot and characters that didn't have to be secretly magical but it's always sprung on us. Why couldn't she have stayed the badass? Now she has to deal with understanding herself and her power and blablabla the same as everything else. 

I was disappointed, but I loved the writing so much I'm willing to look past it and cross my fingers for the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment