May 7, 2017

A Court of Wings and Ruin


A Court of Wings and Ruin

Sarah J. Maas

Image result for a court of wings and ruin cover


 
I know that this book is pretty much everything the entire fandom wanted, but it didn't really do it for me.

**SPOILERS BELOW**
I see a lot of running themes in Maas' writing, such as characters doing things without anyone else knowing that could get them killed. After the first few times, it just gets more annoying than it makes for a plot twist.

The characters are what I loved about this series. I really felt for Feyre, I loved Rhysand, I wanted Tamlin to at least make a comeback, I didn't care as much about Lucien as everybody else or Feyre's sisters. But... Mor, Cassian, and Azriel were really my favorites and I felt like that storyline was just added in because people kept saying that Maas needed more diverse characters. I had no problem with Mor's confession, it just felt like it was put in because of that criticism. And she didn't just string Az along for a month or two, but 500 years. The poor guy.
I'm glad Feyre finally grew into the High Lady role. I felt like her beginning at the spring court was very short. I was expecting full sabotage to take months, not just a few weeks.

What really killed me was the ending. I expected death. Really, this is a giant war with tens of thousands of people dying and we really only care about the 9 main characters so obviously we're going to lose some people. And when it happened, it definitely tore me up. I was straight sobbing, but I accepted it. It was very much in character (I don't want to ruin it just in case people ignored the spoiler warning). So, there were two deaths... and then they both get resurrected. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? THIS IS A WAR. Of course everyone gets away unscathed. Yes, they'll have emotional damage for life... but how did everyone stay alive? It's just not realistic at all. It feels like she just wrote the ending that everyone wanted.

For instance, Allegiant is one of my favorite series endings because it's realistic and in character and emotional. The author didn't give a shit that people would hate it just because one of the main characters died, she wrote it because that's what would have happened. I wanted this book to be raw and hurt, but happily ever afters don't work for me. I'm just pretending this book ended where the death was.

So, congrats to everyone that loved this, I wish I was as excited as you are.





No comments:

Post a Comment