October 31, 2018

Clockwork Princess

Clockwork Princess

Cassandra Clare


Image result for clockwork princess
Honestly, this book had me questioning why I bothered and actually seemed to like the previous 2 books of this series. I'm not sure if it was bad timing (trying to rush through to bring back to the library in order to keep going with ToG now that I got Kingdom of Ash), or if I really just disliked everything in this book and what it stood for.
First of all, there's the love triangle. It honestly didn't bother me too much in the first 2 books but I think that may have been because the plot was a bit bigger with Mortmain than the romances were, but this one was over the top. And I'm not talking just the Tessa-Jem-Will thing, but EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER HAD TO BE PAIRED TOGETHER. It was ridiculous. We have the 2 lightwood kids? Oh! Let's put one with Will's sister who randomly pops up and put the other with the servant who wants to be a Shadowhunter. All of the romance took up the entire book and it was way too overdone (not to mention made the book giant). It was about 300 pages more than needed because of the love stories and also the epilogue.

As for the epilogue & ending, spoilers ahead.

We all know happy endings piss me off. If you're going to kill a main character, do it well. And STOP MAKING THEM COME BACK. Of course Jem is really a silent brother, because he couldn't DIE. Of course Tessa and Will live happily ever after until conveniently Jem is allowed to reverse the silent brother process and also cure his addiction just to have another lifetime with Tessa. It's way too much and too convenient and I just didn't care for it. If you're going to end with Tessa and Will, why not just end it there? She had to tell us the rest of the characters' lives instead of leaving the reader wondering. One of my favorite aspects of endings is that they leave at least some questions to imagination, but there's no doubt here that everyone is just hunky dory and it pisses me off.

I honestly didn't even remember the plot because it got so lost in this book and was clearly not enough to keep my attention.


No comments:

Post a Comment