February 9, 2018

Don't You Cry

Don't You Cry

Mary Kubica



Image result for don't you cry mary kubica

(3.5 stars)

This was a pretty good psychological thriller by way of making you second guess yourself constantly, but I felt like it was lacking a few things.

First, I want to say that this was entertaining. I read it in two days and just had to finish to figure out what was going on. It didn't drive me crazy, and I guessed the gist of it very early on, but it was still an exciting read.

The book goes between 2 of our main characters' perspectives. Quinn lives in Chicago with her roommate, Esther. When Esther doesn't come home one day, Quinn starts to get nervous. After the second day, she tries to piece together where Esther could have gone when she realizes that her roommate may not be the type of person she thinks she is. Alex is a nobody who lives in a nowhere town near Chicago. His mother, not fit to be a mother, left when he was young and his father is the town drunk. Alex has been working at a café since he was twelve to pay the bills, and now he's 18 and just turned down a full scholarship in order to stay home and take care of his dad.

Like I said before, I guessed the basis of what happened early on, but definitely not the specifics. I think that it would have been a 4 star book for me if the ending was different. Also, this book felt like it should have creeped me out. There was a point when Quinn thinks that someone was sent to kill her, and she jumps at every little thing and basically goes into hysterics, but I just didn't feel it. I didn't connect to the characters much either, which is why I didn't care what happened to them.

If you're looking for a psychological thriller that will keep you guessing until the end, this is it. If you're looking for in-depth characters, pick up a different one.

No comments:

Post a Comment