December 18, 2017

The Bat

The Bat
 
Jo Nesbo
 
Image result for the bat jo nesbo
 

I've heard this series gets much better, so I'm sticking through and hoping that's the case.
 
*SPOILERS BELOW*
 

 
This was a pretty good start to a murder mystery series. There were a few things that I had problems with, and I think most of them may just be due to the translation so I tried not to think too badly about it.
 
I think my main problem was that I just didn't like Harry. He's witty and smart, but also makes very bad choices. He's an alcoholic with previous reason to hate himself & his drinking, but goes off the rocker after his partner on the case supposedly commits suicide. He puts the woman he 'loves' in a ridiculous amount of danger. He sleeps with a prostitute that's tied to the case. Overall, he's just not very professional.
 
There are quite a few suspects and we go back and forth multiple times with 'did they do it?', 'did they not do it?' One thing I can say is that I did not suspect the actual murderer. The one thing that bothered me the most is that they didn't need Birgitta to do the undercover dirty work. You're telling me there's no female cops or anyone else that could wear a blonde wig to try to catch the murderer? I understand Harry didn't think he was putting her in danger at the time, but seriously things would have been so much easier if they just chose someone else to do that.
 
A few of the scenes are very confusing, such as the ending. I had no idea what was going on with the aquarium and the shark and crocodile but, as I said, this may be due to the translation of the book.
 
Overall, it was okay. I hope Harry gets his shit together and is involved in a more interesting mystery next book.


No comments:

Post a Comment