October 27, 2017

Shadow and Bone

Shadow and Bone
 
Leigh Bardugo
 
Image result for shadow and bone
 

I finally got around to reading a Leigh Bardugo book to see what all the fuss was about... I was pleasantly surprised.
 

This book was super entertaining. I read it in one day because I just did not want to put it down.
 
I'm not saying it's the best writing in the world, but it was pretty fast-paced and exciting. The world was cool, but not very descriptive. We know there are Grishas that can do 'science' that looks like magic and there are different abilities, but we aren't sure how that happens or the limitations to what people can do. I liked the setting... not many people could pull of a sort of Russian fairytale.
 
The first 75% of the book was truly great. The last quarter felt like it was very rushed. It also seemed like there was supposed to be a twist but you can definitely see it coming. There's a love triangle, and it's not a very good one.
 
I don't see why people are obsessed with the Darkling (yet), maybe that will reveal itself in the next books. I liked Mal. I liked that it took him a while to realize how he felt; it just seemed more realistic. I was a little confused about the people of court (especially the king and queen) and about the fold, but other than that it was pretty straight forward.


No comments:

Post a Comment