July 25, 2018

King's Cage

King's Cage
 
Victoria Aveyard
 
Image result for king's cage
 

There were definitely things I liked about this one, but I just couldn't get into it like the last book.
 

 
About 2/3 of the book deals with Mare's imprisonment and torture. Maven keeps her in manacles to debilitate her power and eventually allows the whisper to enter her mind for information. MAVEN HAS HER TORTURED AND PUT A COLLAR ON HER WHILE HE HELD THE LEASH. Just important information to have for all of the Maven 'shippers'. Look, I can understand rooting for the underdog. The guy she thought she knew. The character who is supposed to be super evil but has a haunting past. But these things do not excuse his actions. I will never ship Mare and Maven. I hope he dies.
 
 
I don't really like her and Cal together either. I think that's why I'm excited for the next book, to finally see Mare on her own and not worrying about her relationships with the boys.

Mare grew a lot in this book, and I like that her character is constantly adapting and thinking before she acts (for the most part) and opening up to others, but she still bugs me.
 
I liked that there was more action in this book, but I still felt like it could have been smaller. A lot of the useless details of her imprisonment weren't necessary, but I understand wanting to draw that out so we really feel her sense of loneliness and depravation. I also didn't think Cameron's POV (or any other POV besides Mare) was necessary, but I like the kid so it's okay.
 
I really hope the next book isn't as big of a disappointment as it seems to have been for others. It looks like too much of a beast to be useless.

No comments:

Post a Comment