July 9, 2018

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
 
Stieg Larsson
 
Image result for the girl with the dragon tattoo book cover
 

(3.5)
 
I've had this one on my shelf for a while, but for some reason I could never bring myself to pick it up. I think it was because this book is so widely known and affiliated with rape, and I wasn't sure if I could handle it. But I did, and it was interesting.
 

The story itself is very captivating. The beginning starts with multiple different characters' perspectives and eventually they all relate. Basically, our main characters are on the hunt for a murderer from the 60s without even knowing. There's plenty of computer hacking, crime, sexual assault, and relationships to keep the plot interesting.
 
I think that the writing style was a bit lacking, but I have a suspicion that's because of the translation, so I don't hold the Author accountable for language differences.
 
As for the characters, I LOVED Lisbeth and am so glad that she wasn't some ordinary intelligent woman, but was very complicated. She clearly has some sort of mental illness, but she doesn't like when people call attention to it. She's ridiculously smart, but also juvenile when it comes to emotion. It was so refreshing reading about a woman who has little attachment to her surroundings and a shaky moral compass.

Honestly, the ending really pissed me off. There really isn't a need for a sequel at all, the only hint that there's more to the story is knowing that Lisbeth realizes she has feelings and then sees him and Berger together and gets pissed. That makes for a sequel? After all the shit that just happened? I think not. The next book better be even damn better.


No comments:

Post a Comment