July 27, 2017

The Dark Tower

The Dark Tower
 
Stephen King
 
Image result for the dark tower
 

Yup, this series was not really worth it to me.

The main reason I think I'm so salty after reading this is just the writing style. I'm mad at Stephen King for writing himself into his book with such an important role. I'm mad at him for the narration. ESPECIALLY the narration. If a character is going to die, or something big is going to happen, I don't want to know ahead of time. Saying 'and that was the last time he would take a breath' and then killing the character 3 chapters later does absolutely nothing for me. It just kills my emotions and thoughts on the subject like oh? okay I guess. I'd rather find out for myself and be blown away. It's like he writes spoilers into his own story and it pissed me off to no end.
 
And the end! He's such a tease and that mad me mad too. Like oh, guess what? I'm not going to tell you what happens once Roland goes into the tower because it's all about the journey blablabla and then oh nevermind I'll actually tell you? Like just do it. There's no need to toy with your readers. Some people may worship you (including yourself) but I definitely don't.
 
Waste. Of. Time.
 
I also don't understand the meaning behind the ending. Once again, they 'journey' was way longer than the climax. We read this story to find out about the tower and that whole scene was like 5 pages long, while we had an entire book about what happened in the Calla.
 
(SPOILERS)
 
Why does Roland have to continue on and keep rescuing the Tower? What makes him so special that he was the last gunslinger? And why would the horn make a difference? Does he pull the weird Susannah and Jake and Eddie from whatever world they're in? GAH. I'm mad. I will go see the movie though, maybe it'll be better than this.


No comments:

Post a Comment