November 13, 2016

The Second My Life Changed Forever: Stories of Life Changing Moments

The Second My Life Changed Forever: Stories of Life Changing Moments

Eileen Doyon

Image result for the second my life changed forever book cover 
The author reached out to me and asked me to read the book, but the review below is my honest opinion. 

Remember everyone's fascination for the Chicken Soup for the Soul books? This is almost like that; multiple stories of people explaining the one second that impacted their entire lives. One man even said that he was published in one of the Chicken Soup books.

 
There were so many different types of stories in here, from tales of addiction and getting clean, to life-saving miracles or deaths. Every person had their own story. I'm a sucker for learning things about other people. I think that this practice forces us to acknowledge life through other perspectives and that ultimately it will make us more compassionate, empathetic, and open minded. 

With that being said, the only thing I didn't really like about the book is that each person who told their story actually told their story. As I often read fiction, for me this was a bit of a problem with the way stories were told where some people rambled on a bit, or others jumped into a story without all of the details and it could be confusing. There were also many stories about faith and religion, which is understandable when talking about things that have changed lives, but I'm not a believer, and that's okay! I have nothing against anyone who is religious or believes in a higher power, but it just made the book less relatable to me, which is why I only gave it three stars.  

 This was a quick read for any fan of hearing peoples' stories and a great reminder that you're not alone in what you're going through. 
Image result for one second gif 

No comments:

Post a Comment