August 4, 2016

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child


Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

J.K. Rowling, John Tiffany, & Jake Thorne

 


This is going to actually pain me to write. I absolutely love the Harry Potter series, I can't tell you how many times I've read the books or watched the movies to return to this fantastic world, but some things should be left alone. I was happy with the way the series originally ended, and although I thought that returning to Hogwarts with the gang's children would be everything I dreamed, I was wrong.  
 
 **major spoilers below**

Let me first say that the premise was exciting... Albus Severus and Draco's child, Scorpius have an unlikely friendship when both are ridiculed by their fellow students. Albus has to live in Harry's shadow and feels that he is a disappointment to his father, especially after being sorted into Slytherin. This is where the excitement ended for me.

  First of all, if Albus knows Harry's entire story, he should know how meddling with time can be disastrous. He should also know that there was nothing that Harry could do about Cedric's death. It bothers me why Albus is so determined to do anything about Cedric in the first place. I understand that he wants to prove himself to everyone, but he didn't know anything about Cedric or his father, and he could have gone back in time to do anything....why help this mysterious girl save Cedric? It just doesn't add up to me.

 Then there's the major plothole, HOW THE HELL DID VOLDEMORT HAVE A CHILD? I mean, everyone suspected that Bellatrix wanted Voldy pretty bad, but really? A kid? And they claim that it was before the Battle of Hogwarts, but Bellatrix was clearly never pregnant and before that she was in Azkaban so that whole idea should have been shot down out of pure logic. And how do people keep making polyjuice potion in like a day? Remember their second year when the gang had to wait about a month for the potion to brew?

I didn't like the play format, but I could get over that if the story was worth it, which it was not in my opinion. The writing honestly didn't even sound like Rowling anymore. I'm surprised she put her name on it. Overall, I was severely disappointed in the book. I refuse to think of this as the 8th book, but more of an adaptation of the stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment