October 20, 2017

Red Seas Under Red Skies

Red Seas Under Red Skies

Scott Lynch

Image result for red seas under red skies

I'm not sure exactly what it is about this series, but I just can't seem to get into it. I have the third book so I'll continue but that might be the end of it for me depending on whether it's better than this one or not.

This book should really be up my alley, not sure why it wasn't. It reminded me a little of one of my favorite authors' writing, Donna Tartt, in that there's so much detail that the author clearly did a lot of research. He pretty much ruins that in the end by saying that there's a lot of the nautical nonsense that is quite literally nonsense. I could forgive that if it were interesting.... but it wasn't. A lot of naval jargon about ships that didn't really add anything to the story, to be honest.

I used to love Locke, but he was just a straight shithead in this book with no redeemable qualities. Jean is seriously the star and the plot of this one fucked him over big time. I love Jean.

There was WAY too much going on. They're planning a job for two years, and then all of the sudden this guy pulls them in and poisons them to get them to do a job for him. Meanwhile, there's assassins after them and they don't know who sent them. And then they have to learn how to be pirates. I honestly didn't know the roles of half of the new people introduced in this book. It was just too convoluted.

Overall, not really for me. The humor just seems more pretentious than witty.


No comments:

Post a Comment